Friday, January 7, 2011

Game Meet Up 1/08/11, 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm

Greetings friends. Our game meet up for Saturday is scheduled. A few pertinent notes:

Experience Points

I found it the most expedient this time around to approach Experience Points with  a very simple method. All PC's are advanced to second level with the minimum number of XP required except for multiclass characters who are midway. I am not being lazy or arbitray--the unexpected albeit welcome entrance of some players required me to alter the dungeon troves,  and,actually, the DM's Guide does suggest a DM have some latitude here. So be prepared to level up characters tomorrow!

Magic Items

Ah, you wanted to know this did you not? And undoubtedly some might wish to conceal this but such is not very practical given our very large size. The knowledge of these boons and how they work are imparted to the characters by their benefactor. However, I have run out of time before work and you must wait for tomorrow. I promise you will like them!

Dice Rolling Suggestion

I discussed this option witha  few players and I think we should give it a try. A lot of what slows down combat is waiting for each player to roll two or three dice. I have thought of a way which would not only speed this up but also possibly allow for individual initiative with no further work or delay.

At the beginning of each melee round, every player rolls 3 dice all at the same time--d20, weapon damage die, and d6. These dice are rolled and then left untouched!

The DM counts down initiative beginning at 6--every player who rolled a 6 initiative reports his or her roll--if the d20 rsult was a miss, then the damage die is ignored. If it is a hit, eachplayer aleady has damage score ready to report. The DM then moves to those who rolled a 5 initiative, then to 4, etc.

Incases of simultanous initiative, weapon speed determines first attack and in some cases permits an extra attack.

Prepared missles and magic would still calculated first. The "Charge" move must still be declared.

Milton pointed out to me the potential drawback to such a  system--if someone scores a killing blow against a target  and another player was also engaging that target, the second player will have wasted a good attack roll. Part of me says that could reflect real life, part of me says that for ease of play we should simply allow players to change their action. Use of the miniatures would prevent any outlandish changes (movement and weapon range would govern actions, not to mention a little god ole common sense...).

I Appreciate You All

I have enjoyed these games and the characters are awesome. I have a definite story line and conclusion in mind for the current campaign and after this cycle is completed you can look for some guest DM's to run some games. I know some ofyou drive a fair distance to attend our games and I thank you for your involvement. At this time, the Atlantis Campaign can accept no new players who have not already been invited--it is simply too full!

Feel free to comment on this thread about anything at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment